In a city that claims the world’s tallest building (and the world’s highest hotel), you would expect a visit to Dubai would leave your wallet hurting. While visitors may hear about ultra-opulent hotels like the Armani Hotel Dubai (starting at $475) and the Four Seasons Resort at Jumeirah Beach (starting at $663), there are a surprising number of five-star hotels to choose in the Emirate with nightly rates under $250.
Though this is a place where expats and visitors alike shell out $180 for Saturday Brunch (the Dukes Dubai Brunch keeps the real Champagne flowing), those in the know always manage to find some satisfying budget alternatives — like starting the day with a rib-sticking bowl of daal and a stack of fresh roti for under $3.
Five star Dubai hotels without breaking the bank? We are not pulling your leg! Here we show you the best cheap hotels in Dubai that don’t skimp on the glamour in the City of Gold. Yalla!
Hotels near Dubai Airport and Dubai Creek
Roda Al Bustan
Your Dubai Airport hotel with a few extras
- Spacious rooms with marble bathrooms and luxury bath products
- Fully-equipped gym, tennis and squash courts and outdoor pool
- Free shuttle service to the sandy stretches at Al Mamzar Beach Park
Affordable Luxury tip: If you’re staying for just a one-night stopover in Dubai, upgrade yourself to a Roda Discovery room or suite to benefit from the hotel’s free airport shuttle service.
Hilton Dubai Creek
Rooftop lounging over Deira and Dubai Creek
- Guestrooms with floor-to-ceiling views of Dubai Creek
- Private beach access and shuttle to the Hilton Dubai Jumeirah
- Take in the city skyline from the Edge Pool bar
Affordable Luxury tip: Hop on a wooden abra from Baniyas Marine Transport Pier to the Dubai Old Souq for just one dirham! When it comes to seeing Dubai Creek the old school way, there are few other competitors.
Intercontinental Dubai Festival City
For a shopaholic’s pad that allows for extra spending cash
- Appointed rooms with sumptuous linens (and free WiFi!)
- Choose from the Eclipse Champagne bar, Choix Patisserie or Vista Bar & Terrace
- Direct access to the shopping, entertainment and dining at Dubai Festival City
Affordable Luxury tip: For last-minute snacks (and four-litre bottles of water), the neighbouring Carrefour is open to midnight or later all week long.
Marriott Executive Apartments Dubai Al Jaddaf
For a home away from home in Bur Dubai
- One-, two- and three-bedroom apartments starting from 800 square feet
- Fully-equipped kitchens are perfect for families and entertaining larger groups
- In-house fitness centre and rooftop pool looking onto the Burj Khalifa
Affordable Luxury tip: If taking in the sky-high view from the Burj Khalifa is at “the top” of your list and jet lag has you up early, a sunrise visit between 5:30 and 8:00 a.m is for you! Coming in at 125 dh., this is indeed the cheapest entrance and includes a coffee and pastry at the tower’s café.
Dubai Hotels near Deira and the Old Souk
A splash of Mediterranean flair in the Desert
- Refresh yourself under your private walk-in rain shower
- Make the sunlit atrium lobby your meeting point
- Tuck into methi chicken and broccoli popcorn at Signature by Sanjeev Kapoor
Affordable Luxury tip: Wander through the serene Al Fahidi and Bastakiya neighbourhoods while stopping off at the Majlis Gallery and XVA Gallery which both show visual artists from the Gulf and beyond.
Avani Deira Dubai
A family-friendly pick with Metro access
- Adjoining rooms make morning roll call all the easier
- Keep your routine going with the onsite gym, sauna and swimming pool
- Rise and shine with the expansive breakfast buffet at Jigsaw
Affordable Luxury tip: Abu Baker Al Siddique Metro station across the street from the hotel makes connections to the Airport, Al Fahidi, Burj Khalifa and Dubai Marina all the easier with an unlimited day pass for 20 dh.
Dubai Hotels near Jumeirah and Dubai Marina
Mövenpick Jumeirah Beach
Five-stars just steps away from Jumeirah Beach
- Go for an evening stroll on The Walk by JBR Beach
- Partial sea view rooms face onto the beach and the Arabian Gulf
- Green Sustainability policy in effect to reduce water and energy wastage
Affordable Luxury tip: See Dubai Marina on two wheels thanks to a Byky Nextbike. Rates start from 15 dh. for 30 minutes and 20 dh. for an hour and allow for drop-offs at seven stations around the Marina. Note that a cell phone with calling capabilities or internet connection is required.
Grosvenor House Dubai
The first-row seat to Dubai Marina and the Palm
- Open access to Le Royal Meridien Beach Resort‘s beachfront
- 400-thread count cotton sheets and down comforters to snuggle in
- Luxuriate in your set of Bulgari toiletries
Affordable Luxury tip: Save on the price of an observation deck ticket and take in the sunset over Dubai Marina from the happy hour at Siddharta. Drinks start at 30 dh. and are accompanied by live music.
For big savings in Dubai without compromise
- Free shuttle to the Mall of the Emirates and other area hotels
- Five on-site dining options and room service available around the clock
- Ten-minute walk to Dubai Internet City Metro station on Sheikh Zayed Road
Affordable Luxury tip: Adjacent to Dukes Dubai, take in a movie under the stars Thursday nights at West 14th Steakhouse. Bean bags and snacks are provided for free with a kids flick shown at 6:30 p.m. and a classic film shown at 8:30 p.m.
Fraser Suites Dubai
Spacious rooms and suites with a distinctive touch
- Serviced apartments from two to six sleepers
- Open-air pool with food services and free WiFi
- Tennis courts, indoor gym and kids club available on-site
Affordable Luxury tip: If you came to Dubai with the expectation to gawk at the lives of the ultra-rich, a trip to the Meydan Grandstand on race day is quite the sight to take in. The building itself and its architecture are enough of a draw before considering The Meydan Hotel, the horse racing museum, the people-watching potential — not forgetting to mention the race itself!
Do you have your own favourite “cheap” hotel in Dubai? Drop us a line below.
Hotel prices were taken from trivago.ca at the time of publishing looking at a search period of January 1, 2018 to February 14, 2018 with hotel stays February 15, 2018 to March 30, 2018.