When rest and relaxation are the top priority for your next trip away — there’s no need to splurge on a weekend getaway or to schlep yourself onto a charter flight headed south. A weekend-long microadventure at the hotel spa near Toronto is exactly what you’ve been looking for: close to home, affordable and away from the stresses of life.
Spa retreat with the ladies, a Valentine’s Day Weekend with your better half or simply making the most of that private insurance massage allowance — these are the ultimate spa hotels and resorts within driving distance of the GTA. Unplugging from life’s fast lane in 3… 2… 1…
Sir Sam’s Waterspa
Eagle Lake near Haliburton[stars number="4"]
Untangle those double knots in your neck from hunching over a keyboard day-in and day-out with a deep tissue massage and some hydrotherapy jets at Sir Sam’s Waterspa.
- Spa highlight: Hydrotherapy fountains that work on your back and neck
- Day pass: $15 with treatment, $30 without treatment
- Massage menu: Scalp, Neck and Shoulders massage, Aromatherapy massage and Couples massage
- Access: Just under three hours from Toronto, you’ll find Sir Sam’s just to the north of Haliburton.
- In-room relaxation: Many of the rooms at this adults-only resort include fireplaces to cozy up to
The Millcroft Inn & Spa
Alton near Caledon
Follow the lead of those in the Nordics and stave off winter’s fatigue with a fall awakening thanks to Millcroft Inn & Spa‘s plunge pools and hot springs.
- Spa highlight: Hot Spring pools and polar plunge pool
- Day pass: $70 without treatment, $35 with treatments totaling under $100
- Massage menu: Prenatal massage, Aveda Stress-Fix Body massage, Fusion Stone massage
- Access: Take Highway 410 away from the airport up in the direction of Orangeville. Skip rush hour and you’ll be from blah to spa in one hour’s time.
- In-room relaxation: Antique furnishings from Canada and abroad ooze opulence, only further challenged by an evening turndown service
Amba Spa at Deerhurst Resort
Huntsville in Muskoka
No need to wait until Valentine’s Day for one-on-one time. Take an autumn walk through the changing colours of Muskoka followed by a couples decompression session at Deerhurst’s Amba Spa.
- Spa highlight: Couples’ Escape including body and scalp massages and paraffin treatments
- Day pass: Day spa packages starting at $220
- Massage menu: RMT massage, Golf massage, Reflexology
- Access: Deerhurst is just north of Gravenhurst as Highway 60 continues out of Huntsville towards Algonquin Park. GTA residents can reach the resort in about two and a half hours.
- In-room relaxation: Whether in the Pavillion building or facing the water, pillow-top mattresses are ready for pamper you with a good night’s sleep
Spa Rousseau at JW Marriott The Rosseau
Lake Rosseau in Muskoka
Drop the kids off at the grandparents and take yourself due north to the JW Marriott The Rosseau where your weekend routine, for once, will revolve around you!
- Spa highlight: The Rosseau Signature Manicure and Pedicure
- Day pass: $50 in winter, $65 in summer
- Massage menu: Deep tissue massage, The Ultimate Aromatherapy Experience, Head massage
- Access: Lock onto Highway 400 and don’t hop off until Lake Joseph (about a two hours’ drive once you turn off from the 401)
- In-room relaxation: Go for a long soak in your marble washroom’s bath tub
The Spa at White Oaks
Girls just want to have fun, but so can the gents! The staff at White Oaks will spoil you with rejuvenating treatments from head to toe.
- Spa highlight: Men’s treatments (Sport pedicure, detoxifying seaweed wrap, manscaping)
- Massage menu: Couples Thermal Palms massage, Relaxation massage, Pregnancy massage
- Access: Without traffic, you can reach The White Oaks Resort, located between Niagara-on-the-Lake’s downtown and Niagara Falls, in an hour and a half from Toronto
- In-room relaxation: After the spa, waltz back to your Deluxe Suite in your oversized bathrobe and lgiht up the in-room fireplace
Ste. Anne’s Spa
Grafton east of Coburg
You and your closest gal pals have been talking about a weekend away for the past year and no one can settle on planning it. Leave it to Ste. Anne’s Spa to put together the ideal package.
- Spa highlight: Full all-inclusive wellness escape including meals, group wellness classes and a spa allowance
- Day pass: Packages range from $185 – $290
- Massage menu: Thai massage, Chakra Awareness, Shiatsu
- Access: Within an hour and a half, you can escape from Toronto along the 401 to the world of Ste. Anne’s Spa
- In-room relaxation: Take out a spa cottage which includes a gas fireplace and two-person whirlpool tub
Hockley Valley Spa
Mono near Orangeville
A later sunrise can only mean more dreary-eyed mornings ahead. Freshen up with a renewing facial at the Hockley Valley Spa.
- Spa highlight: Facial treatments including facial enhancers (oxygen blast, collagen eye treatment)
- Massage menu: Hot Bamboo treatment, Swedish-style massage, Couples massage
- Access: Hockley Valley, just northeast of Orangeville, is reachable from Toronto in one hour
- In-room relaxation: Request a room facing the fairways to get the full spectacle of the autumn leaves
Have you tried out a hotel spa recently that you’d like to recommend? Drop it in a comment below!